Saturday 7 September 2013

My first thoughts on Space Marines 2013 codex

I grabbed my book as soon as GW Newbury opened this morning.  I also picked up a Tactical Squad and some Centurions and will try to add some new models to my Devastator Company for Armies on Parade next week.  I still have most of the scenery and the Storm Eagle to finish painting.  Both sets of sprues look vey good, although I will need a quiet few minutes to build the Centurions.



A couple of rules points I have noticed so far:

Asssult Squad sergeants can no longer take a Storm Shield, so I will either have to count mine as a Combat Shield or play them as the much cheaper elite-slot Vanguard Vetetans instead, until I get the new models.

The Centurions are Slow and Purposeful, so can't overwatch.  Not sure about using them with Grav-Cannons now, which only have 24" Salvo 3/5 range.  A shortish range defensive infantry unit that can't overwatch seems a handicap.

My recent 600pt list for Invasion now comes to 570 points, so is 5% cheaper.  A special weapon and another marine are the obvious additions and will still fit in the Razorback.  Of course I will also work out some brand new lists too!

Finally for now, I'm a little disappointed I have only found a couple of worn Howling Griffons references so far in the codex, especially when Robin Cruddace is  HG player.  I had hoped for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment