Monday 17 February 2014

Kill Team, a 2K pt game and Warhammer Empire.

A fairly mixed bag of gaming to report, just to keep things interesting.

First off, the B team from our school club just missed out on the Regionals at Warhammer World in March by one point.  They were well ahead on painting and gaming after 2 of 3 games, but complacency and silly mistakes meant they lost all four of the last round of games.  With most 40K games currently based on objectives, they need to learn where to put them so opponents have a hard time even contesting them.  Also, charging off of an objective in your last turn to assault a unit of terminators is BAD.

In my own gaming I played 3 games of Kill Team last Monday using 8 Assault Marines.  My first game was a very cagey match against DE Reavers, which ended up out-manoeuvring me.  After losing my second game too the last match against SW required me getting my marines off of the opposite table edge.  After killing his Thunderwolf Lord I escaped with 3 marines, which meant we drew.

After that we had a 3 vs 3 Marines vs Xenos game, where I managed to charge the biker warboss, which sent the rest of the boyz running and gave us a comfortable win.


The day after that I went to Pete's new house to try out his gaming garage.  He played 2000 pts of Guard, including a lot of anti-air, as he knew I wanted to try out my Stormwing formation.  We rolled the Relic on diagonal deployment.  Pete is always a good sporting opponent, so it was more for fun than anything.  I made loads of mistakes, like forgetting to leave a tac squad in reserve to go in the raven!  To balance that up I also forgot about Strafing Run causing pinning.  Near the end of the game my raven was on its last HP so I flew it off the table.  Having survived when it first turned up, I completely forgot about Interceptor when it came back on again.  Oops!



One of my tac squads had the Relic and Pete was trying to kill off every last marine.  The sole survivor fled 5 inches, which I thought meant he kept hold of it, but of course he should have dropped it automatically.  I claimed victory for having the Relic, but shouldn't have.  I have promised Pete a rematch.

Finally, I have started dabbling in Warhammer Fantasy again.  There has been an ongoing campaign at GW Newbury, so there has been more Fantasy happening there.  I have dusted off the Empire army from Bögenhafen I started back in about 2007, but never finished or played.  Having not played this edition (8th?) I had a quick practice game on Saturday but didn't really get very far in the hour we had.  I have now also assembled ten more swordsmen and a hellblaster to get me closer to the 1600 pts the campaign is now at.


No comments:

Post a Comment