Saturday 29 March 2014

GW Newbury Tale of Gamers - time to start Orks

A week is a long time in this hobby.  For once I am not talking about the latest releases, although there must be plenty of mileage in the stormtrooper ice-cream van.


Back on topic, Matt wanted suggestions last weekend for instore events and I mentioned the classic White Dwarf series of a Tale of Four Gamers, which were always favourites of mine. I am not sure how many times they ran this with the different GW systems, but a 40K version sticks in my mind.

Having requested six players on Tuesday, we now have ten confirmed and raring to go.  For my choice of army I considered Tyranids, which no one else had chosen.   However, the underwhelming reception to the codex and the lack of potential to ally with any other army finally put me off.  With most people opting for power-armour of some sort, Orks were another untaken race, which I have decided to go with.  We already have quite a few Orks in the shed from when my son dabbled with 40k a few years back.  This includes all of the Black Reach figures painted very basically, as well as some Stormboyz, Lootas and a Battlewagon.  They are always a fun army, but what clinched it was the rumoured new codex out in June, along with whispers of Orks in an imminent new starter box for 40k.

Each month for six months there will be a challenge for the players to complete.  Officially, we aren't starting until 3rd May, but many of us are getting underway already.  In the first month we need 1 HQ and 1 Troop choice completed worth 250 points.  We will be marked on assembly, painting and basing.  My first Orks will be a Warboss and a unit of Nobz.  Having made my first box of Nobz, I decided to convert a Warboss also from a Nob, rather than ordering in a Finecast one, as there were none in the shop.  Hopefully there will be some new plastic characters out soon.


My next task will be to write a proper 250pt list before I build the next box and the Painboy I got today.

No comments:

Post a Comment