Wednesday 27 May 2015

Green Tide vs 6th ed Eldar

This blog has now reached 10k views. I wonder how many of them are mine? (No I don't want to mess around with Blogger audience stats tyvm..)

On Monday night I played a 1500 pt game for Oli's new league.  My list is a Green Tide with a CAD of painboy, 2 units of grots, 2 lots of warbikes and a single killa kan.

Oli had not allowed the new Eldar codex for some reason (?), so this match was against 3 pre-nerf wave serpents, an old Wraithknight, a spiritseer, 2 sets of Wraithguard,  a crimson hunter, 10 dire avengers and 10 guardians.

We were playing a hybrid Emperor's Will / mini - maelstrom scenario.  I had almost forgotten how long my horde takes to unpack, so Tom got a drink while I deployed.

Deployment
My Orks went first but the first couple of turns were the slowest advance ever.  I kept rolling ones and twos for running and got snake eyes twice in a row when trying to charge.  I also took a bit of a beating from the serpents and the Wraithknight. With Tom focusing on my green tide and my trying to run, it took until the end of turn 3 before we had First Blood when Tom exploded my kan with his flyer.  By that point I almost called it, as I had lost well over 50 boyz.  Without FNP it would have been a lot more.  As I had had to sweep round scenery, the blob had been spilt in three with casualties in front of the buildings and it looked like I would have to spend my movement just getting back in coherency rather than running forward.

The plan is usually to aim for a Turn 2 charge, but in this game it took until Turn 4!  The tide was turning, as they say.  I finally managed a multi-charge, needing a 6 on an 'Ere we go reroll to make it through terrain. Perhaps the dice gods were not so harsh after all?  The ladz predictably chewed through the guardians and even the wraithguard, but fortunately one of the latter survived to keep the remaining boyz locked in combat for Tom's next round of shooting, before they mopped up in his assault phase.

My boyz and bikes finished off the rest of his infantry over the next couple of turns, whilst the serpents zipped across to my board edge to keep out of the way, but shooting one of my grot units off of an objective at the end.  I ignored the flyer and the WK.

The Eldar are pushed back

In the end neither of us got the 4pt Emperor's Will objectives, but I won the 3 pts in this scenario for achieving most maelstrom objectives.  We both got 2 secondaries,  so I won 5-2 with a bit of luck.  I had expected to lose some of the chaff, but most of the nobz in the tide made it into combat.

I had added the bikes and kan to the list to help me grab objectives, as the tide can only hold one.  However, with the tide advancing Tom got pushed back, so he was restricted in getting objectives too.  Even when he leapfrogged with his wave serpents, my grots still had Objective Secured.  This meant he couldn't snatch a 4 pt objective at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment