Wednesday 11 April 2012

I am a hobby butterfly!

I am lucky to have my own shed in the garden, which is full of my Warhammer stuff.  I have my figure cases, several boxes of unmade models and all my paints, glues etc.  I keep telling to myself that I need to finish what I have already bought before I buy any more.  Of course, I never stick to this.

Now GW have revamped their entire paint range with 145 new, exciting pots to choose from.  I have already got some of the new textured paint, but again I was thinking I needed to finish my current stock of paints before shelling out on more.

Unfortunately, Quinn has now started up a competition specifically to use the new pots to paint a unit by the end of the month.  What a clever ploy to boost sales!

So, ever up for a challenge, I'm entering.  It could be any unit from Warhammer Fantasy, 40K or LOTR.  I did consider the unmade flagellants I have in the shed, but I haven't painted any Fantasy for a while and I rather fancied doing something yellow, which has always been a bit tricksy to get right before.  I knew I had some Space Marines to make too, so I thought I'd do some Imperial Fists (even though I already have three power-armoured armies already).

I dutifully went into GW Newbury and picked up FIVE yellows - Averland Sunset (base), Cassandora Yellow (shade), Yriel Yellow (layer), Hexos Palesun (dry) and finally Lamenters Yellow (glaze).  The days of a single pot for any colour are clearly over!!  That was more than enough for the moment for the armour, but I will need some red and metal colours for the details.

When I got home I found I only had three tactical marines on the sprues, but I did have enough bitz for a 5-man Assault Squad, so the decision as to which unit to do was made for me.

They are now assembled, and I have taken a bit extra care in removing mould lines, etc.  I have even gone as far as drilling out the ends of the guns, which I can't normally be bothered to do.

I am nearly out of Chaos Black spray, but have plenty of Skull White, so after a white undercoat I have now got as far as a coat of the Averland Sunset base before it got too dark outside.  (No electric in the shed - one day...)  I'm interested how the next stages will turn out tomorrow.



(Not the best light for the pictures, but a flash makes them look too orange)

No comments:

Post a Comment