Friday 13 April 2012

Mitorian XIII vs Space Wolves 1.5K

Well I got another game at Veterans' Night last night, but not against Quinn's Grey Knights.  Instead I played Dan, who was also at Carnage.  I added in a couple of squads of my own - my almost finished Ogryns, some Penal Legion and another Infantry Squad, and also borrowed another combined squad from Eli to make up the gap.

We rolled Spearhead and Annihilation.  I realized quickly that I had a lot more Kill Points on the board, so mobbed up a couple of the squads together.  Dan had three squads of Grey Hunters in a Rhino and two Razorbacks, two squads of Wolf Scouts, three units of Long Fangs with a mix of missiles, plasma and lascannons, with Njal as HQ.

I got first turn and immobilised the transports first, as I was expecting him to race forward and get into combat.  However, he was happy to stand back and shoot with all the Long Fangs.  My Penal Legion got Assault 2 weapons and did well to help me take out a plasma squad.  The Leman Russ also soaked up a lot of fire before it succumbed.  The Ogryns lost their transport, so were late to the party with the Wolf Scouts vs the Conscripts, but they did get in a Furious Charge, which was fun.  However, the final tally was 10-2 for Dan.

Dan told me at the end that his army was designed with infantry guard in mind, but I learnt a few things against a canny opponent.  I wish I had brought my Executioner along to take on the Long Fangs and I should have run more squads forward to get the Long Fangs engaged in combat.  Even with their counter-attack rule, it would have tied them up from shooting for a bit.  The Ogryns and Penal Legion did give me some more options though, but more tanks and armour would have been better than more cannon-fodder squads in this battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment